You are going to love this floor cleaner, because we add Peppermint essential oil to it. Not only does it smell fantastic, it can also help repel bugs!
Peppermint is considered a “hot” oil. If we put it on our skin without proper dilution it will give you a hot/cold sensation which is not very comfortable for most people. Can you imagine what it feels like to a bug? Peppermint oil is a natural bug repellent so using it to clean your floors should help them stay where they belong….outside. Oh and it also has disinfectant properties. Win, win!
Before making this recipe, please consider the type of floor you will be using it on and if it will keep your investment safe. Not all natural cleaners are safe for all floor types so make sure you do your homework first.
This recipe SHOULD be safe for tile, laminate and linoleum, but please do a spot check first by applying some to a hidden area and waiting a few minutes to see if discoloration or any kind of damage occurs.
What You’ll Need
- 1.5 – 2 Gallon Bucket
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide or White Vinegar
- Unscented Pure-Castile Soap
- Essential Oils – Peppermint
- 1 cup Hydrogen Peroxide or White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Castile Soap
- 7-10 drops Peppermint
- 1 gallon hot/warm water
- Add Hydrogen Peroxide or White Vinegar.
- Add Castile Soap.
- Add essential oil.
- Add hot/warm water.
If you prefer to make it into a spray for laminate floors, use 1/4 cup Hydrogen Peroxide, 3-5 drops of Castile Soap, 1 tsp olive oil, 1-2 drops of Peppermint and 1 1/2 cups of hot/warm water. You can use this spray for counter tops, but err on the side of caution if you have marble or granite counter tops. Always do your research or test in a hidden area.
- Hydrogen Peroxide is safe, inexpensive and an earth-friendly powerful cleaner and disinfectant.
- Peppermint has disinfectant properties.
- Peppermint can be used to deter bugs.
- Because of the peppermint, if you have pets or crawling babies, it’s best to keep them away while cleaning your floor. Once it’s dried up they are safe to walk or crawl on the floor again.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience and shopping pleasure. Using these links doesn’t increase your price, but it does generate a small referral commission for me to help keep this site alive. Thank you for your support. 🙂